This is a topic that may have kept a lot of people from the church. I’ve heard “I don’t appreciate the church taking my money,” “The preacher has money, so why does he need my money?” When I was a kid, I always heard “we’re giving our money to God.” I remember thinking to myself, how are you going to give the money to God? Now, that I’m older, I understand the importance of tithing and offerings. I’m about to answer your question if you’ve always wondered why the church wants money from you.
1. The church needs to pay bills – How do you think the lights stay on and the Air Conditioner is working? It is because the preacher and people are paying offering to contribute to the church. Your money is valuable to keep the electricity and atmosphere clean in the church. You may not be physically paying the bill, but every time you give $1 or more, you are helping the church work properly.
2. Charities or Missionary – Maybe your church wants to donate items to the needy, or they want to start a mission to help those in need overseas in India, Africa, Japan, or other places across the country that needs your help. “We can just pray that God gives us the church money.” But to allow God to help financially with the church, we have to put in action from our bank accounts. Money doesn’t just grow on trees, and that’s an accurate phrase. It’s another great reason for you to help your church through tithes and offering.
3. Sowing seeds into your life – You are actually helping yourself when you give money to the church. Maybe you’re praying for a financial breakthrough, need financial aid for college, or you’re praying for a job. When you give your money to the church, you’re saying “Lord I need your help, and I know you can help me.” I’ve always heard, if you give your money to the church, The Lord will give it back to you. He may use someone else to pay for your groceries, or He may use someone to give you money when you least expect it. I begin to give money heavily this year to the church when I had it, and I have been blessed financially more than I can even imagine. It wasn’t just God’s grace, but also sowing seeds into the church. Give your money to the church, so that the Lord can give you a financial blessing.
4. For the children – You might want your child to be apart of the church. Maybe your church wants to host programs or activities for your children. A pastor might want to keep kids out of the streets. I remember viewing on tv, a pastor saying he created a space in his church for kids to go to after school. They could play basketball or enjoy an indoor playground with bounce houses. He was able to do this because his church members were paying their tithes and offerings. The children need Jesus too, and maybe your church wants to introduce Vacation Bible School or Bible Study Groups for the youth. When your kids watch you give money to the church, you are showing the importance of Giving. Your children will grow up understanding that giving is better taking. Show your kids that their education in Christ is essential for them.
5. Helping the Church Grow – Every preacher started in a small space whether it was in the living room, a strip center, a trailer, and many other places. Maybe your church is in a bigger space now. Why? Because you gave your offering or tithes to your church, the pastor and administration were able to look for a new area to make the worship place comfortable and spacious. Your church is now ready to add on space for your children’s worship space to bond with other children like them. You just helped your church grow, and you didn’t even realize it.
6. Pastor’s and Staff’s Job – Listen, the pastor and staff need to be paid as well. From the worship singers/musicians, cameraman, and to the pastor, it’s their job to put together an excellent worship service on Sunday, and Bible Study on Wednesday. Nobody is going to work for free unless they are volunteers. Imagine working hard at your job and not getting paid for it. You can’t pay your bills or for your groceries. Every pastor and administration is not trying to get rich off of you. They should pay their tithes and give offering too because they are human just like you and I.
I understand that you may have run into a church that talks about money all the time. Some preachers may have started out humble and let money get to their heads. That does not mean that all preachers are the same about finances. The Mega Churches that you see on television may have become money hungry, but your local churches in your area care about your heart for God. We all need to attend church whether physically or online. We need to give to the church so that God can pour his blessings into our life.
If you or someone you know has left the church because of money, go back to church. Don’t just think about them taking your money, but think about enjoying fellowship with other Christians who want to worship the Lord. While you’re in church, make sure that the pastor agrees with The Bible. I believe the enemy gets into our heads and tries to give us a reason not to attend church again. The money issue is one of those ideas because once we agree that “the church only care about my money,” we forget about why we go to church. The reasons why we should be in church is to learn something from The Bible to help us accomplish the upcoming week, connecting with God on another level, or for newcomers, maybe to start a relationship with God.
Here’s what the Bible says about giving:
2 Corinthians 9:6-7 says But this I say,  He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of neccessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. These scriptures are basically saying. However, you give you will get it back. If you give small, then you will receive little. Giving generously will be in return of receiving something generous. Verse 7 says we should not give money for a replacement or as a chore but giving with a heart of thanksgiving. Give like you’re excited to present money to The Lord.
Proverbs 14:14 says, “The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways, and the good rewarded for theirs.” God knows your heart right? He knows if you’re just giving because you want something back and He knows that you’re a faithful giver. You will be rewarded for sowing seeds cheerfully.
Hosea 10:12; says, “Sow righteousness for yourselves, reap unfailing love. Break up the unplowed ground for yourselves, for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers deliverance on you.” As I said earlier, you are giving money to help yourself, but you are also showing love to God. You’re showing that you are seeking for Him until He comes and deliver you from whatever you are going through. What do you want to be delivered from?
I don’t understand why we feel that it’s okay to give our money to our favorite artist and our favorite sports teams, but it’s difficult to give money to the church. Once our favorite artist has our money, they don’t care about giving back all the time. They take our money and buy expensive houses and cars. The same thing that goes for athletic players. They do their job to provide for themselves and family. But, the pastors at church, they don’t want to just provide for their family, but they want you and your kids to enjoy going to church. They want you and your family to grow closer to Christ because most of them care about your soul.
It’s time to stop letting the money issue in the church keep you away from your relationship with God. Stop making excuses about “I got God as long I got my Bible.” so you don’t have to return to church. God wants you to go back to the church to serve, strengthen your relationship, and to give back cheerfully.
Are you going to go back to church? Are you going to search for your church home? Do you love God? Show Him by being a cheerful giver. I agree that some pastors want your money, but that’s when it is time to discern what church is right for you. Ask God, what church should you attend in your state? I’m sure he will guide you to the right church because He wants you to come back home.
I hope that you understand that the church is not about money, it’s about guiding you in the right direction. God bless you all! Thank you for reading and commenting! Have a blessed day, evening or night! I love you guys!
Prayer: Lord, we come to you right now. We ask that you help us to return to church and be a cheerful giver. Lord heal us from the money issue in our hearts. Help us to understand that tithes and offering are essential and we should give to help our church. Take away the enemies perception on Tithing from our minds. We want to serve and present ourselves to you wholeheartedly God. In Jesus name, Amen!
Luke 6:38 NET; “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”